Saturday, January 23, 2010

Another Close Call- 30% OFF AND free shipping?

Late nights are not my friend these days and last night was no exception. I fell asleep early with my kids, say 9pm, then I woke up at midnight and I could not get back to sleep. So I get up, flip on the tv and set my laptop on my lap of course. I was flipping between What Not to Wear (TLC) and International House Hunters (HGTV- sigh, dare to dream that I too will one day have a house in Cognac France) when I thought, oh let's see what's going on with my old friend JCrew- just looking of course. I arrive to 30% off- and the adrenaline started rising. I quickly scurried through the sale section, giddy as I filled my basket. I headed to checkout with $1,000 of merchandise. Then I pruned it down to $220 of "essential" items and started the process. I got to that final final screen where with free shipping and extra 30% off I was at $159 when I stopped the madness and asked myself a few questions. Will the asymmetrical bow sweater in fawn make me a better person? Will the black wool twill cropped pants change my life? Do I really want to blow it at this point? The answer was NO on all counts so I red X'd out of the screen and shut-down my computer.........phew. It was a quick gravity check that when I think that I am doing well with the no shopping, that my shopping demons are right around the corner. I think my next step is getting a handle on what I have- I have been so busy with work and life, my wardrobe is still in chaos (think multiple closets, rooms, piles- several NWT, never been worn). The ironic thing is I have been wearing the same jeans, fleece and Ugg boots in the bitter cold winter, especially on my three days that I work at home- not a stylish outfit in sight.

So my next step from here is to try the New Year purge/ inventory and really figure out what I have. That will help me manage in the future what I really NEED. GigiofCA and Fabulous Florida Mom have both recently discussed their shopping rules on their blogs, which I think is something that I really need to implement in my life. So that's where I am gang- I am in a place where I need to dig deep and focus inward literally and mentally and look at what I have instead of outward at what could be. Any ideas and/or encouragement are greatly appreciated.

18 comments:

  1. Good for you! I know the feeling. You will feel so much better after you finish the purge/organizing plan. Tip: don't get suckered in to feeling that you need to spend hundreds$ on a fancy-shmancy closet organizing system in order to implement your plan. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can do it! Congratulations for staying strong! The new year is somewhat depressing with the let-down after the holidays, maybe a project like straightening out your wardrobe it just the thing to make the winter go by faster! Maybe you can make a few dollars on the JCA weekly exchange!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, so impressed!!! Good for you for staying strong - it's so hard - 30% off plus free shipping is like a silver platter to the crewlade drinkers. Keep going....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been there. Fallen asleep with the kid. Woken up at midnight and been fully awake. And placed an order. I'm so impressed that you stepped back. You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you for not placing the order. It IS hard to step back. Your closet cleanout and organizing will make you feel sooo much better about what you already own. Good luck, I look forward to hearing more about your progress! :-) XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I'm lusting after clothes that don't need, I find it helpful to plan outfits on polyvore using the clothes I already own. It reminds me of all the amazing things I have in my closet right now. I could plan fabulous outfits to last several lifetimes using my existing wardrobe!

    And, seriously, would another cashmere sweater or a pair of jeans in a slightly different wash add ANYTHING to my wardrobe? Other than clutter?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good for you! I managed to hold out too although I've filled my cart and emptied it a couple of times. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Woobie! I am just catching up after being out of town and didn't even know this had happened until now! Let me just tell you that I am SO proud of you!!! I know how much willpower it takes to not hit the Submit Order button, and I have to say you are AMAZING!!! The closet clean out is a fantastic idea...I personally call it *Shopping Your Closet*, which it REALLY is even more so when you have numerous clothing pieces with tags still on. Why don't you consider wearing a new item everyday until you have worn everything you own? It would be interesting to see how many months it takes to get through your closet, not to mention it would help revive the *staple* pieces in your wardrobe, and help you to not get bored with them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That was a close one. I had a similar experience! I actually pressed submit on the Ryder bag in shadow and the Midnight Tweed gala jacket, thank goodness the website lets its customers "Cancel Entire Order" for up to an hour afterwards. I cancelled it within 5 minutes!
    So far my JC ban is working, though I did have my vacation exemption in which I cheated a bit by ordering a suit just before (though I did stick to my budget for the holiday shopping, mostly because there wasn't much in the B&M).
    So I am looking at months and months of not ordering and right now that feels fine. Even with the new arrivals out yesterday! I've been studying the new things and thinking about how I can rework what I have.
    Go through all of your things and take stock of it. When you are feeling the urge to shop go back to your closet and organize ONE thing, like your scarves, or jewelry, or shoes. You will lose the urge I guarantee it. :)
    Let us know how you do!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like how you took control of the situation and backed yourself out of the impulse to spend, spend, spend. Be strong, it's just clothes. (Yeah, right!) ;P

    ReplyDelete
  11. you need to spend hundreds$ on a fancy-shmancy closet organizing system in order to implement your plan.

    ladies lingerie

    ReplyDelete
  12. How are you doing Woobie? I've been thinking about you and wanted to check in to see how everything's going. Have a beautiful day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. How are you doing? I am holding strong and not buying from the current 30% off promo. Like IRL said above--it is just clothes. I am going to pass. Hope you do too:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi, came across your post after i searched "how to cure Jcrew habit" at work. It's like writing about reading about me. :) I did the very same thing - was up late, noticed the sale, piled it on the cart, applied the discount and then had to talk myself out of each item. Sigh. Resisting in solidarity.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm on the other side, it's been two years since I've bought anything, oh God I am sooo greedy now.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hope you are well. Would love to see some new posts from you. I was really looking forward to following your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Would LOVE to hear an update! Hope things are going so well for you but even if there's been slip-ups, you are always supported out here in blog land=) Catch-up post?? It's creeping in towards a year!

    ReplyDelete