Friday, December 18, 2009

I'm Having Impure Thoughts (EXTRA25 AND FREE SHIPPING??? come on)

I know that I have been absent for awhile, and I chalk it up to BUSY, BUSY, BUSY. But here I am, in the wee hours of the night having what is officially to date my weakest moment!! I just had my cart full, entered the EXTRA25 promo and had the summary screen in front of me with the only thing left to do- hit "SUBMIT". I didn't do it- but IT WAS CLOSE. I had rationalized it as, this will be for Christmas from hubby- I will wrap it when it arrives and put it under the tree. But my conscience was screaming in the background and I just couldn't do it; I have narrowly escaped a failure I want to avoid. (For those curious, my basket contained the wool cropped pants in black, jalapeno boat neck cashmere sweater, and the annalise ruffle cami in cinnamon- cute but not worth falling off the wagon for don't you agree?)

On a more positive note, here is the OOTD, and what a nice day it was. Office white elephant exchange/potluck. There are winners and losers- and I walked away with Barney puzzles so you can do the math yourself as to which category I fell in- fun nonetheless. And this evening was my 5yo's holiday program- adorable.

OOTD 12/17/09
OOTD 12/17/09 by Woobie featuring J Crew

Let's talk about this holiday shopping- while I am laying the confessions out there- I have REALLY been enjoying being back out there as I have shopped for others gifts. I was a bit annoyed when I wanted to get my son's teacher an antrho gift card for holiday gift, but I settled with one of those Nordstrom gift cards that you buy at the grocery store- I think that I squeaked by on that one. No shopping at Nordstroms- nothing in the rules about the grocery store (it is amazing what you can buy in the grocery store these days). As far as my Christmas list- I will admit, it feels like a bit of veiled shopping. I sent hubby an email with links of things that I wanted. But in my defense- that is how we have always done things in the past- I love him dearly, but if I don't spell it out, there would be nothing under that tree. I wish I could say that I am so beyond the material goods at this point, but me likee a present or two. I am curious as to what everyone thinks- my support group here on the ground thought it was ok to put Crew items on the list, but it didn't feel right, so I stuck with non- Jcrew, Anthro, and Nordy items. Instead, I scoured stores that make things that LOOK like they came from Crew, Anthro, and Nordies.........I tried to be frugal/ reasonable in my requests ($20 jeans from lands end, cashmere sweater from lands end that really looks like they are studying the crew catalog these days, and some Tory Burch shirts that were 1/2 price on her website with free shipping). We'll see what he comes up with- given the ban, I am going to be just as excited as my Santa believing cuties this year.

I'll wrap this up with one request as follows: PLEASE SEND ME SOME WORDS OF ENCOURAGEMENT DURING THIS TIME OF WEAKNESS.
I hope that everyone is having a fabulous holiday season!

14 comments:

  1. Oh No!
    I too had the exact weak moment, but did not go ahead. Things have been easier since then, if it's any consolation. I am just telling myself that it's a great sale, yes, BUT IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH ME. That seems to work for me.
    I have to say, my wishlist also felt like veiled shopping. My husband always buys me a few things (that I pick out) from JCrew. Otherwise there would be frantic December 24th shopping, on his own, of things I do not like (whatever he could find at the last minute, usually involving lots of $$ too).
    So I did have to do a JCrew list, but mostly I picked things in my colors etc, and told my 7yo to help him.
    I know it was for the best but I did feel guilty.
    Hang in there. Things will be easier in January when the shopping frenzy is over. Just don't go to JCrew.com!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, ladies..they are going to buy you gifts anyway! You may as well get what you want. You should have no feelings of guilt, your ban was for YOU shopping, enjoy your gifts! A wish list is just that, a list, the gift giver has every choice to buy something else but they want to make you happy!

    You have both done SO WELL so far and they do say the first 30 days are the hardest but that same 30 days builds a good habit and breaks a bad. Keep up the good work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathy, I Heart You! Such kind words!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Kathy; I've had some backsliding but i feel the "habit" part kicking in. I made one of my rare trips to the B&M this week and didn't buy anything except the presents for others that I'd planned to purchase. My husban and I don't typically exchange lists; plus, due to the economy we are trying to keep presents low-key. But last night he said that his present to "me" is really for "both of us"--a new pistol for the "household". You can imagine how that makes me feel all warm inside.

    Anyway, good luck with the program!

    ReplyDelete
  5. DaniBP- I find some consolation knowing I am not alone with that 25% temptation. You are SO RIGHT- I need to NOT LOOK. I like your approach of separating myself from "the deal". It sounds like you are doing well!! Thanks for the support.

    Kathy- You are so very kind!! Thank you for your words of encouragement. I will sit back and enjoy the gifts.

    Hexicon- Good for you going in the B&M and staying on course. Wow- a pistol- I guess that beats a lump of coal. (Do you know how to use it?)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't you just feel better when you don't hit the submit button and just close out and walk away from the computer? I have many of those weak moments and when I am able to resist temptation, I feel 100% better. One day at a time...one day at a time...

    ReplyDelete
  7. And pretend you're on vacation in some beautiful spot without internet access!! cheers for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good for you - you may have been close to hitting that button - BUT YOU DIDN'T! As Dumbledore said to Harry at the end of Chamber of Secrets (or something along these lines) the fact that you chose made all the difference. And if you can make it just 2 more weeks, you'll have the New Year's momentum to really back it up. Best of luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. By the way, I was having impure thoughts after reading about Campo messenger totes being marked down in store to 79.99 about trying to get in there this week to see if my B&M still had one, but now I'm feeling much stronger. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are truly amazing, and are my inspiration to do the same thing for New year's, starting now. Thank you for keeping us posted!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so impressed with your commitment. Stay the course - you are my inspiration as well - my shopping is down considerably and will decrease to zero by the new year. Please keep posting. It really helps to hear that you are being true to your commitment. Anna

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am really amazed and impressed by your willpower and commitment to stay on your ban! I know it must have been extremely hard for you to NOT click the submit button...you should be SO proud of yourself! :)

    I also think it is perfectly OK to ask for gifts from J.Crew.

    Have a very Merry Christmas! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really am enjoying your blog and posts. I did not hit submit during the 25% off even though I wanted to several times.

    You are so on track to keeping your monies to be spent on more important things like you initially stated in your first posts.

    I agree with you about not asking for JCrew items. Keeps you on track and those other stores have very nice items:)

    Cheers in the New Year. You are helping me keep my shopping down.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Things will be easier in January when the shopping frenzy is over

    ladies lingerie

    ReplyDelete