Monday, November 9, 2009

The Secret Decoder Ring

OK- there is no ring, but for my non- shopping friends supporting me through this, I have had many questions related to the secret language we speak here in blog land (IRL, B&M, IMO, KWIM?) so I would like to take a minute and point them to a wonderful blog- Gigis Gone Shopping http://gigisgoneshopping.blogspot.com/2009/05/vocab-list.html for some additional insight. I look at this as a precursor to the teen texting that I am sure is much closer than I care to admit with my own kids; yes indeed, these are life skills we are building here in blog land. Let's get back to some closet surfing. It was a BEAUTIFUL weekend here in the Midwest- if the thermometer rises above 60 this time of year, out come the shorts, so here is the weekend wear. For taking kids to birthday parties:

11-08-09
11-08-09 by Woobie featuring J Crew


Next up on the weekend agenda was the mother/son hike at my kids' school. Fifty-eight acres of forested fen on a sunny day. We saw a red-tail hawk, lots of deer, and some frogs- much for the kids (and moms) to be excited about and one word comes to mind: GRATITUDE. I am so thankful to be part of this gem of a school. The campus and community are amazing. I am going to go ahead and share my crew gear, despite my slobby look. DaniBP recently posted on the selvedge chambray shirt- she had hers tailored and it looks great (http://danibp.blogspot.com/2009/11/ootd-featuring-review-of-selvedge.html )
So here is my J Crew chambray- I loved it when it was only out for men- and of course I ordered it. They had showed it styled on women in the catalog, but I can't imagine how those toothpicks were sporting it- quite big, but perfect for a mother-son hike.

shirt- Jcrew
turtleneck- JC tissue
pants- JC cords
belt- come on, go ahead and guess
shoes- Chucky T.




DON'T FORGET THE CHUCKS!!


A scene from the hike.


I wrapped-up the weekend with the dreaded change of season wardrobe shuffle. Am I the only one who does this? All linen, shorts, traces of warm weather- packed away. Out came the wool, cords, sweaters, shoes.....And like most things in my life- the project is still hanging out there half-done. Piles of things that need to be dry-cleaned, laundered, put away. It certainly reminded me that I have TOO MUCH, and I have to say right now at this very minute, I am feeling very OK with the no shopping (Nicole- no snickers from you- I will post on that tomorrow!).

I really am curious- who out there does the wardrobe seasonal shuffle? Or are you blessed with that SUPER big closet? Or even better- maybe you live somewhere warm year round -SIGH. Tell me about it.









6 comments:

  1. Oh man... I do that lovely twice yearly wardrobe switch. Annnnd I still haven't done it here in Ohio even though it has been cold for about a month :( I HATE IT SO MUCH!!! Argh. I have one 4 by 4 closet in my place and it has coats and dresses in it. All of my "real" clothes are on racks. Yikes. Well, anyway. I feel your pain!

    I have enjoyed reading about your adventures in not shopping so far!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I moved from an apartment with a HUGE closet to an older house that doesn't even have walk-in closets. I turned an extra bedroom into my dressing room and closet...and yet, for the first time ever, I had to do a seasonal wardrobe switch. My boyfriend doesn't have half the amount of clothing I have, so my summer clothes are tucked away in half of his closet in the master bedroom and my winter clothes are in my dressing room. If there is ever a reminder that I have too many clothes, that seasonal switch was it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I live in a old, small house in the city. It certainly lacks many amenities of a large new suburban house (no soaking tub, no big kitchen) but unlike most older homes it has tons of closet space. The very wise builder tucked closets and built-in storage into every possible nook.

    Long story--we finally dealt with the fact that our spare room is never going to be a baby's room. Mr. Hex and I did some painting and rearranging, and now I have a lovely boudoir all to myself to use as my office and dressing room. The large closet is big enough that I simply move the out-of-season stuff to the far end, and the small walk-in closet is for shoes and accessories.

    I had a slip-up this week. We have an antler theme for our fall/Xmas decorations so I was really jonesing for the antler tee ($45). A JCA was selling an EUC in my size for $25 so I couldn't pass it up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a very small closet that I only get half of, I guess I don't really mind sharing with MrBP ;) I have two large boxes from Ikea that I store in my linen closet, all out of season stuff goes in there, except my dresses, which reside year round in my closet, my coats stay in my closet as well. It's pretty crammed (esp because I don't even have a dresser!) but it's a good reminder to NOT buy things, and if I do, I actually do have to get rid of something. Of course, because I have awesome JC things, selling is not a problem!
    I did some ka-chinging this week, went to JC for hub's gifts and I totally lost it. Bought a warm coat, some winter accessories and a new dress (on popback sale, always gets me!) for my Hanukkah party. I am BADGIRL, but now I am going to sell off a few things that are really too big to justify it! Off to take pictures for ebay...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Em- Glad to know that I am not alone in my wardrobe switch pain!

    Angie- No walk-ins here either. The dressing room sounds DIVINE!

    Hexicon- I have always longed for an older house with character but changing lightbulbs is a challenge for this family let alone maintenance requirements often required of the charming older home. Your boudoir sounds great and OF COURSE you needed that antler tee. It is adorable (yes- I am still looking....)

    DaniBP- You are sounding very effecient with your system- I need to learn your sell it technique. I saw your post of the Mr.BP things- LOVE the flask and jammies!! I can't wait to see your new purchases- living vicariously.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All of my "real" clothes are on racks. Yikes. Well, anyway. I feel your pain!

    ladies lingerie

    ReplyDelete