Saturday, November 7, 2009

Tis Better to Give than Receive

I'm a little behind on my OOTDs, so let me try to catch-up from the past week. Monday, jammies, skip. Tuesday my battery wasn't working yet, so here is the polyvore:



OOTD
OOTD by
My wool capris are from a few seasons ago, but I see JCrew is offering the same exact style this season. I own multiple pair in multiple colors (they used to make navy as well- not out this year). Anyway it is a year round wool and I love them. Wednesday I actually worked out and then worked at home in my spandex gear so I will spare you a picture of that! Thursday was a belated bday sushi lunch with friends at work and it was YUMMY. For the occasion I brought out the double serge pencil skirt. I love this skirt- so comfy, another item that I wish I had bought in bulk because the colors are looking great this season (as evidenced by FFM's recent sets with the skirt in Dusty blossom.) This is the ochre from last season snagged on clearance. I know I am wearing the Molly's into the ground (they are my new neutral shoe) but I have 6 months of winter ahead of me, so I am getting some good wear out of them before it hits.




Shirt- J Crew hammered silk blouse

Sweater- Old Navy

Skirt- J Crew double serge pencil

Shoes- J Crew Molly peeps

Necklace- Pearls from hubby's last business trip to China















And let's talk about how I'm feeling. I stood at the shopping fork in the road as I shopped for my first gift with the personal ban on. My girlfriend's bday present- she likes clothes- I could go to Ann Taylor, Gap..... or she likes wine. I don't think I am ready to set foot in a clothing store, so instead it was Riedel stemware (after last weekend one might make the argument that I should stay away from the wine gear too, ha ha!). I must admit- it felt good standing at the register. Now why is that? It got me thinking about the holiday gift buying season ahead and I need to start working on my strategy before I turn into gift giver gone wild. I'm going to ponder that one- I'll get back to you.

Who's started shopping? Do you make a list or just hit the stores for inspiration?

7 comments:

  1. What color pedi do you have? It looks a lot like You Don't Know Jacques, one of my all-time faves.

    Congrats of managing the urges when bday present shopping!! I haven't started shopping yet, but I have started mentally compiling lists - taking note of what the kiddies & hubby are talking about, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Gift Giver Gone Wild"! HaHa! So easy to do!
    I am really taking things down a notch this Christmas. I already have two presents each for my teens, plus I'll give them some shopping money. My 7yo is easy to shop for: Toys! I have to stick to the budget I set up for the teens, otherwise I'll go crazy. Last year I bought my hubs lots of JC (sneaking in ride-alongs for myself, Bad!) This year he is getting some notebooks and pens to foster his writing ambitions.
    Every other present ( teachers, hostess gifts, in-laws) I plan to buy at my neighborhood gift shop on November 21st, the day of their 15% off storewide.
    If I can stick to this strategy I'll be doing really well. I haven't ordered from JC since October 22, and I am trying to keep you company, Woobie. So far, so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a pre-diet JC purchase to return, and very nearly was going to make the (long) drive to the B&M to return it in order to save return shipping . . . woke up this a.m. and realized that the temptation would be too great and I'd better just drop the return in the mail. I'm allowed make-up on my diet but probably not ought be let near a Sephora in my present mood either.

    As for presents, I've simplified my shopping a lot and pretty much everybody gets gift cards (purchased at Safeway). It feels less personal, but it bypasses my family's traditional game of "if you really loved me you'd correctly guess what I want without my telling you."

    (The return was the silk posy top. I don't know why I let myself be misled by the pretty JC and O mag pictures rather than the IRL comments from the bloggers . . . Hello third boob! Thank goodness it wasn't final sale.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have also set up a budget for each kid, One gift plus cash if there is money left over from their allotment. I don't usually stick to it, but I plan to this year. I do good stockings though!

    You are doing an excellent job so far! Just by recognizing that you need to stay out of a store is excellent. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look gorgeous in your outfit! I'm glad you decided on the Molly's...they are beautiful!:)

    YAY for you on managing your urges while gift shopping...that must have been tough! The only gifts I have so far are 3 Star Wars Clone Trooper costumes for my littles. I got them on sale before Halloween when Target was offering free shipping on all costumes. They all went as Jedis for Halloween so the Trooper costumes got tucked away until Christmas. They'll probably get new light sabers and legos, too...they are really easy to shop for. :) My oldest is 11 and he is asking for a Nintendo DS so I am keeping my eye out for the best sale price for it, along with a couple of games to go with it. He is pretty easy to shop for as well, because he actually likes to get gift cards and cash.

    Have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. HeidiG- It is funny you should ask! We spent the weekend with my parents and my Mom had that color with her- Avon. I teased her about being so hip- and I promptly borrowed it and took it to the nail salon. I am so glad that you clued me in on the OPI equivalent- I love this shade and Mom took the bottle home.

    DaniBP- Good idea with the one stop shopping and even better that you are supporting the locals. Thanks for keeping me company!

    Hexicon- I am cracking-up over your Sephora comment. I have been thinking about a trip to Mac but I am afraid I will leave with a bag full of goodies that I don't need. I am out of my lipglass but I think I will order online.

    Kathy- I try to spend the same on both kids- and thanks to my Mom, family tradition is the stockings are a big deal too. Thank you for the encouragement.

    FFM- Thank you! Inspired by your sets of course. Funny you should mention the Star Wars- my 9yo and his two best friends ALL went as Commander Fox this Halloween. I am sure those troopers will be a big hit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. First things first, the stemware was a SUPERB choice as I'm using it right this very moment as I'm typing this!! Thank you so much!!!
    And second, the bday sushi was delish and you looked remarkable that day might I add.
    If you can handle the Cmas shopping season you can handle anything!!
    ~Em

    ReplyDelete