Monday, November 2, 2009

Mommy, I think it says J CREW


Said my sweet little girl as she peered out the door to see what the man in brown left for us. Whoo hoo! Who needs kindergarten, my baby's been schooled in J Crew, and with this statement I am going to go ahead and declare her a reader. Well, there they are, my last boxes from my final days as a shopper. I remain shop free, but I am not going to lie, things aren't as rosy and fun as they were last week. Let's move on to my closet shopping. I started out strong, but my IRL streak stopped at day one. Ready for my dog ate my homework line? My battery is dead, I can't find the back-up, nor the charger. The last time I saw either was our leaf-peeping trip to WI. Have no fear- I will find them, I just can't promise when (and those who know me understand it could be after the shopping ban is lifted). My dear friend Tinker snapped a pic for me on Thursday but we had technical difficulties downloading so it is back to polyvore. Let me share my Ema inspired outfit for the Halloween festivities at the kids' school.



I would LOVE to share my Saturday night outfit- we attended a wedding in the city and I pulled out a Diane Von Furstenburg from a few years back. I can't find a pic of it anywhere but you're going to have to trust me on this one- cute. I had a little bit of a shopping dilemma when it came to the hosiery, because per my rules, hosiery= inbounds. I of course found a $50 pair of gold toned nylons at Neiman Marcus and it just didn't feel right; in the spirit of living simplistically, I instead purchased a $3.99 pair from my local drugstore. sigh. And since I am on a roll with the confessions, I'll move on to the rest of my evening. It was SO MUCH FUN- hubby and I had a chance to visit with a lot of old, dear friends that we seldom see. I was so wrapped up in my social butterflying that I lost track of my vino intake (you know where this is going).......and somehow I turned back the clock from 41 years to approximately 21 yo. Why bother with this detail- well I thought it might help you understand that Sunday and Monday I spent recovering in my jammies (41 year olds do not bounce back that quickly) so there will be no IRLs until work tomorrow.
The good news- I am currently being entertained by the book No Impact Man by Colin Beavan. My good friend Lynne gave it to me in an attempt to lessen the blow of my shop free life- the glass if way more than half-full as I am reading this. For those that have not read it- the gist- an NYC resident spends a year making zero net impact on the environment. Not only do they NOT SHOP, but things such as toilet paper and electricity are also given up along the way. So crew free really isn't that bad right? Has anybody read the book? If so, did it motivate you to change anything in your life?

7 comments:

  1. I'm sorry.. I tried to read your post but couldn't get past the part where you wrote you paid $50 in the past for a pair of Nylons. After I picked myself off the floor, I couldn't go on........ ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read the book, but I feel your pain. I am desperately trying to quit the JCrew habit and all other shopping and pay down all debts. I have about two years to go on the current plan if I can stick to it. Longest. two. years. evar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like an interesting book. Inspiring, too. Like you said, facing life without toilet paper makes NOT shopping at JCrew seem really easy! hehe
    FUN wedding, but I know it, those events are dangerous for wine consumption. Eeesh, been there!
    Love the boxes piled up outside your door, that is a thrilling sight indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE the J Crew countdown! Am definitely closer to jumping on board. Anna

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is my new favorite blog! I just turned 27 on Sunday, and I decided that I would spend the next year NOT shopping for any clothing, shoes, jewelry, handbags, etc. It's going to be incredibly rough, since I LOVE J.Crew and spend way too much money, especially at Christmas.

    I'm really glad that I have you as inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE the Halloween outfit. Keep up the good work!!! I am cracking up at your story about the wedding - we are going to one out of town next weekend, and I have a feeling we will be hurting puppies by Sunday morning. :)

    Oh....and no TP? Seriously? Ewwwwwww....I don't even want to think about that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tinker- no cats on the Neiman hose, enough said.

    Angie- it's the smart thing to do. WE CAN DO IT!!

    DaniBP- I am thinking you are no stranger to the box pile as it is your main source for distribution.

    Anna- when you are ready to take the leap- I'm here for you.

    Kat- Happy Birthday. Safety in numbers, we can do this.

    HeidiG- Did you decide on your dress (lots of voters out at the polls for that one!) My sage advice is every other beverage a water, on second thought, make that every third drink. A girls gotta have some fun afterall! Have a great time.

    ReplyDelete