Saturday, October 24, 2009

The Final Boxes Roll In

Yesterday was a Debbie Downer post for me but today is a new day and I say my life is abundant! Snicker snicker from the peanut gallery- reality has not yet set-in because the boxes are still arriving. My brown uniformed friend ran across my lawn just yesterday as a matter of fact. I almost stepped out on the front steps to hug him goodbye, after all we've been seeing each other for quite some time, but why ruin his weekend. I still have two more boxes coming before we officially break-up. The J Crew Molly peep toe platforms were in the box and while they did not seem to get a warm reception in my first post- I am telling you- they are so comfortable. They blow my LuLus away on the comfort front and I like the pattern. My 8 1/2 Lulus are a little big but the Molly is just right said the baby bear. I am attributing the comfort to the platform. I have a couple pairs of whiskey colored pumps so I am second guessing my color choice, but a little late now. You will see them in future ensembles. Speaking of ensembles, today I reached for my old friend Lydia- a front runner in J Crews trend of the sleeveless ruffled collars(pre-dating our girls Victoria, Bria, Frances, and Kelsey- where do they get their names?). She's got a lot of room, but tucked-in and belted up she's pretty cute don't you think?



I am going to experiment this weekend and try to figure out how to do the IRL pics. It is odd, but I am feeling so vulnerable about that. I just bared my financial soul- no problem, but exposing the jelly belly, now that's a different story.

I will wrap this up with an update on my daughter's health status. I took her to the doctor yesterday and she tested positive for Influenza A (whisper.....H1N1). And this is when the parenting job gets nerve wracking. We got a prescription for tamiflu and I asked the doctor if this were her child would she give it to her- the answer was no she would not and left it up to us as her parents. My instinct was no, don't do it. But as it got later in the evening, her fever kept rising and she was listless on the couch, let's face it- I was freaking out a little. We decided to wait until the morning because we had until this afternoon to start the drug if we wanted. Thank goodness she popped up this morning fever free asking for food and drinks. She is up playing and almost normal, just a teeny bit warm so no antiviral meds here. phew. This is not an easy time- the virus is not predictable and as the media reminds us of those kids playing a football game Friday and in a coma by Monday- it's just your worst nightmare as a parent.

Any advice on how to do the IRL pics for my life as a closet shopper would be greatly appreciated! Have a fabulous weekend.

6 comments:

  1. Don't feel vulnerable about IRL pics!

    Just crop your head out if you are worried, and find a blank room if you can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. RL Pics are fun, and though I am horrible with my camera, I post my pictures anyway. I often take a picture in a mirror, but if the flash is needed that does not work. I have a tripod (it's actually my son's) but I haven't set it up yet, and I don't really have a permanent place for it, but that might be an option for you.
    More importantly, I am glad your daughter is rallying out of this flu. It's enough to scare a Mom out of her freakin' mind. I hope the better health continues on into tomorrow. Fingers crossed for you. Here in Ontario the rollout of the vaccine has just started, (and only for those who have something chronic) but as my youngest daughter has an underlying condition (childhood epilepsy) I am going to be fighting to get her in this week. She seems to get EVERY flu that goes around so I am feeling that we won't be spared, definitely vaccine's are a wonderful thing.
    And, on a lighter note, JCA=JCrewAddict, so true. Where's our 12-step? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. so glad your daughter is doing better - my son had it earlier this week. fortunately his fever didn't get too high, so it was manageable with ibuprofen. (and I have heard that Tamiflu is actually worse than the flu - nausea, etc.)

    As far as IRL pics - I put the camera on the foot of my bed to take the pics and then crop out the rest. The most flattering pose is with your upper body facing the camera and your lower body swiveled about 45 degrees away. I know it's silly, but just experiment with what works for you. And I have found it to be very valuable as some outfits were more or less flattering than I thought - good information to have!

    Love the blue/gold combo in today's outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree w/Heidi. Experiment. I find that the lighting is best in the AM and I do it at my front door. I rest the camera on a piece of furniture, set the timer and I don't use flash. It seems to distort colors & fabric textures. I also crop my head out, as you've seen. Whatever works for you & your life. Remember that once the pics are on the Internet, that's it. So it just depends on how open you want to be, if you want potentially be recognized, if it will be a factor w/your family, work, etc...

    Good luck w/your daughter & her flu. I hope it clears quickly. I have only heard happy endings with the flu, so I expect the same will be for you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just read your blog for the first time. Sounds like exactly what I need to do and have seriously been thinking of doing. No shopping for a year. I have cut back drastically though and bought no JCrew (or any clothes) for almost 3 months now. Did buy something today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks all for well wishes- I am happy to report that my daughter is fever free and running around (now just crossing my fingers w/ my 9yo).

    FB- trying to find that blank spot.

    DaniBP- Good luck getting your daughter vaccinated, they just started rolling it out here in the Midwest, but the lines are indeed moving. I hope you find the same.

    Heidi- Thanks for your the tips (prior to this I didn't know how to operate the timed pic). You are exactly right with it being helpful on determining if the outfit is flattering/not. I think that is why I am hesitant. It is like visiting the Stacy & Clinton 360 mirror on WNTW!

    Gigi- the lighting is tricky. Especially when it seems like we haven't had much sunlight lately...and I hadn't given any thought to my Blogging identity and its ramifications to my job/family so thank you!

    Genny- good for you and your cutbacks. Given my personality I thought the all or nothing is a better route for me.

    ReplyDelete