Tuesday, October 20, 2009

The RULES

I am not shaking (yet). FFM- you asked a very good question, is this ban only on J Crew? Let me take a deep breath here (inhale, exhale); despite MANY naysayers around me, I am going to try NO SHOPPING period. Another deep breath and for those that know me, please stop laughing. I am going to see if I can make it a year in my closet. Here is what I am thinking:

1. No shopping for any NON-NECESSITIES for myself. I chuckle a little on this one. What is a necessity? Given the amazing styling and shopping I have seen on your blogs, it is safe to say I am in good company for what we can rationalize as necessary. GingerSnap- with that bar passed- I am sure you could present closing arguments on why I need the blushed tweed collier jacket. HOWEVER, the definition of necessity is underwear/hosiery, bras, gloves (if I lose one since I live in the Tundra known as Chicago area it needs to be replaced), and make-up. That list is quite short don't you think? No accessories, handbags, home furnishings........zippo.

2. Shopping for my kids/hubby- at first I was thinking how can I deprive my adorable 5 yo daughter from the Crewcuts experience, but really I feel that is code for "No, really Mom it's not mine, I'm just holding it for a friend." I am going cold turkey on the Crew. But the reality is I cannot predict what outfit will be required for the Holiday program, not to mention the growing like weeds issue, so when my 9yo blows out his knees or grows through a size, it is ok to replace. Do we want to put a limit on where I shop for them? Not sure- opinions please.

3. Segue into number three is gifts for others. Again, the Crew ban is on because I don't think "I can handle the truth"; nor could I walk into a store or fill a basket online without the "one for them one for me" shopping method. So it is ok to purchase gifts for others but I am going to take Crew, Anthropologie, and Nordstrom off the gift list. Bummer for others- better for me. Again, if you have thoughts, let me know.

4. Finally, and I am struggling on this one- what about gifts for me. Say for example mother-in-law gives me a gift card for Xmas. Can I use it? The ruling among my work friends, was yes- but ONLY to value of card. Or do I put it on hold until next year. Thoughts?

And back to the previously mentioned naysayers in my life (aka good friends who know me well). There was some brainstorming going on about allowing ten "get out of jail free" cards- where during this year, I could present a case as to why I need an item and then a card may/may not be granted for one item to be shopped for. I feel like that is a bit of a copout. A year is a year period. No shopping. And while I may be begging for a GOOJF card next month, right now I am going with the all or nothing theory.

So that's it- am I missing anything? Back to my final days as a shopper. I stopped by my B&M today. Let me show you what I have purchased thus far. HeidiG you are so right about the special occaision dress. I am on the auction committee for my kids school- it is a black tie function in April but I am having a hard time getting inspired right now. I thought I could wear what I wore three years ago or borrow from a friend when the time comes but I will look around the next two days. DaniBP, I love patent, so the campo is still calling my name. Today I ordered or purchased in the store:





I did order the patterned peep toe from yesterday. The captoe flats are now off the list- they're not Chanel, which is what I really would like in that style, so now I have two days to find some black flats. Still waffling on the crew cashmere- maybe I should just get the dream sweater in jalepeno since it is the color that I really like and I have issues paying FP with questionable cashmere. I will be hitting another bigger B&M, Nordstrom, and Antrho in the next two days. Stay tuned. Let me know what you think.

4 comments:

  1. Go for the jalapeno dream sweater - with no shopping, you are going to want some fun color to chang eout your look. (ha, yes I realize this is Neutral-Girl talking, but even I wear color sometimes.)

    Re: gift cards - you don't want to lose money, and many of them have an expiration date. So you could save them for a new season, as you figure out things that you "need" in your wardrobe. And I would set a limit that you can't spend more than $5 over the value of a card (compare to the price of a Starbucks Venti or something).

    Re: shopping for the kids...try limiting to certain stores or a certain degree of replacement. 1 pair of pants...replace with 1 pair of pants only. That should work.

    Your list of necessities sounds totally reasonable. And I think it's smart to avoid the trigger stores for gifts, just so you aren't tempted.

    Again - so impressed with what you are doing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your rules are so well thought out, you are quite serious. I just think it's wonderful! I have had thoughts of doing this myself so I am going to be very interested as time goes on.
    Maybe limit yourself to shopping for the kids at a place like Sears or Target. I know those are places I wouldn't be interested in buying things for myself or my home. ( I know Target has some spot-on trend stuff, but I am never tempted as I am from the JCrew castle of beautiful fabrics, shoes and bags.)
    OMG good luck getting it all in over the next 2 days!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the support HeidiG and DaniBP! So I have a day to hone the kids approved clothing vendors. I do like the thought of replacing only what they need since for me personally this is an exercise in living a little more simply.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good job on you rules. They are very specific and you've identified the potential pitfalls. Put one in the basket for me, too, such a great price! --- I know that one.

    I agree w/Heidi. Use the giftcard. However, look online and peruse the website to decide what you want. Make sure you're within the giftcard amount and that's it. Or you could try one of the swap/trade sites for gift cards. I haven't tried it myself, though.

    ReplyDelete